Smokeless tobacco goes by many names, such as dip and chew, snuff, chewing tobacco or spit tobacco. No matter what it is called, smokeless tobacco is highly addictive and can harm one’s health.
Like cigars and cigarettes, smokeless tobacco products contain a variety of toxins associated with cancer. At least 28 cancer-causing chemicals have been identified in smokeless tobacco products.
Signs and symptoms that could indicate oral cancer include any sign of irritation, like tenderness, burning or a sore that will not heal; pain, tenderness or numbness anywhere in the mouth or lips; development of a lump, or a leathery, wrinkled or bumpy patch inside the mouth; color changes to oral soft tissues; difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving the jaw or tongue; or any change in the way your teeth fit together.
Patients should see their dentist or physician immediately if such symptoms appear.
Smokeless tobacco can also irritate gum tissue, causing it to recede or pull away from the teeth. Once this gum tissue recedes, the roots of the teeth are exposed, increasing the risk for tooth decay. The roots also may become sensitive to hot and cold or other irritants, which means discomfort may accompany eating or drinking.
Sugars, often added to enhance the flavor of smokeless tobacco, can increase the risk for tooth decay. Smokeless tobacco also typically contains sand and grit, which can wear down teeth.